Written by a former educator and a retired teacher of the Montgomery County, Maryland Public School System (MCPS).
What’s really being taught?
As a former educator I have a deep appreciation for education. What’s happening in the Montgomery County School System and systems across our nation is not education- it’s indoctrination. The children of Montgomery County are being programmed to accept the Marxist ideology by teachers whose jobs are at risk if they challenge the system. This is happening under the watchwords: equity, 1619 project, social justice, racism, police brutality, cancel culture, and social reform.
“We want our sons and daughters to know the truth.”
“Our country wasn’t built on cancel culture, speech codes, and crushing conformity; we are not a nation of timid spirits.”
My wife, who is a retired teacher from MCPS, recently contacted several of her conservative friends still teaching in the system. She asked them how the current cancel culture environment is affecting their teaching. Here are some of the responses:
“I was given the book ‘White Fragility’ and was told we’d be discussing it during staff development. We also received an email after the George Floyd incident that expressed the administration’s white guilt we all should feel. It was re-sent at the beginning of the school year. Conservative teachers are frustrated and many are ready to retire.“
“Teachers and para educators are required by the county to view 10 videos redefining race, sexual orientation, and inappropriate words considered politically and socially incorrect. Teachers and paras must adhere to these new standards or risk disciplinary actions or termination. Many of these new guidelines conflict with the moral and ethical values that Judeo-Christian teachers hold.“
“I assisted in a classroom where the teacher had a large picture of president Obama on the wall with the caption under it that read, ‘Greatest President Ever.’ The flag was placed next to the American flag so children were forced to view this every morning as the pledge was recited.”
“I recently posted a clip on my personal Facebook page following the attempted police assassination in Los Angeles that read Police Lives Matter. I was told by the administration that I must remove it or face disciplinary action.“
“As a history teacher I’m expected to teach the narrative, ‘It’s not a black fight but rather a human fight.’ Every teacher in every context is expected to teach something regarding it. It’s also taught in homeroom.”
“I see bias. When the kids go to a source to site examples during an assignment MCPS always uses very liberal news outlets like CNN, New York Times, Vox, etc.“
Another testimonial we got was from a Montgomery County police officer who shared that the police had been called because a teacher was offended during her zoom class because a student had a “Trump 2020” poster on his bedroom wall. She reported she was subject to cyber bullying and wanted the police to investigate. As it turns out, the student was suspended for two days. Sadly, we don’t hear this on the nightly news.
Another testimony quoted from The MoCo Conservative blog from a 1st grade mother was that her child was read to from a book entitled, Antiracist Baby, by Ibram X. Kendi. Another junior from Rockville High School had to write a report on the black lives matter (BLM) movement.
Another student at Montgomery College wrote a paper on anti-abortion. Her teacher told her the paper was written extremely well and would have received an “A,” but because of the content she would only receive a “C.”
Conservative teachers in Montgomery County are being bullied, intimidated, disciplined, and reprimanded for their conservative beliefs. They are mandated to teach using the new narrative. As a result, we see middle school and high school students standing on street corners holding up signs which support BLM, “social justice,” and de-funding the police. They are clueless and naïve relative to the history of Marxism and Communism.
Middle school and high school students are the product of our failed school system that devotes more time to social reform than teaching basic curriculum.
So, what are the solutions?
- Remove the Marxist leaders governing Montgomery County, most of whom live in Takoma Park, Maryland, and replace them with conservative leaders who appreciate patriotism and embrace our historical past embedded in Judeo-Christian values;
- Elect a school board that is willing to take a stand to resist the liberal teacher unions and Marxist leadership of Montgomery County;
- Campaign for school vouchers so that those who cannot afford private schools can have the right to have their children receive a non-biased, normal education;
- Place your children in private schools that reflect your moral and ethical values;
- Move to a state or county that has a more conservative agenda; and
- Accept that a do-nothing attitude will result in your child’s indoctrination and acceptance into the new narrative of Marxism.
- Main photograph: https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/07/24/disturbing-video-shows-protesters-march-out-kids-and-tots-holding-f-the-police-signs-in-portland-950885
- Photograph credit: https://biodork.wordpress.com/category/abortionpro-choice/